Woman rescued from house fire in Bridlington


Firefighters rescued a woman from her home after a blaze in the early hours of this morning.

Crews were called to Martongate at around 1.10am and found a fire involving newspapers in a kitchen fireplace.

The elderly resident had been alerted when the fire alarms went off but was suffering from smoke inhalation and was given oxygen therapy before being checked over by paramedics.

Electrical cabling and water pipes had been damaged and there was serious smoke damage to the flat

The crew broke into the property using a sledgehammer and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the flames, before the flat was ventilated using a pressure fan