Why did Quay Road chaos last so long?

The road was closed all over the weekend. It eventually reopened to traffic late on Tuesday afternoon.
The road was closed all over the weekend. It eventually reopened to traffic late on Tuesday afternoon.

Just when drivers thought getting into the town centre couldn’t get any worse...

A burst water main caused traffic chaos in Quay Road with the main road into the heart of Bridlington closed for four days.

Added to the existing roadworks in Hilderthorpe Road, which have blocked off one of the other main entry routes to the town centre, it meant motorists had to battle more queues and diversions.

It left businesses and councillors asking why workmen were not on the site over the weekend to speed up the repair job.

Cllr Shelagh Finlay said: “I’m absolutely appalled that Yorkshire Water don’t realise that as the summer season approaches, we need as many visitors coming to visit Bridlington and they need access the town centre.

“By not working over the weekend, and when I passed on Monday morning, they are causing major disruption. We have got two main arteries into Bridlington closed off.

“They should have fixed this by Sunday evening.”

Water began pouring out on to Quay Road, near the level crossing and the town council offices, on Friday lunchtime.

Yorkshire Water had Tweeted earlier in the day that properties in Quay Road would have their water supply shut off to ‘carry out essential repair works’.

They then sent out a message saying that the road would need to be closed because of the severity of the burst.

Frustrated by the slow response, Cllr Finlay contacted them on social media again on Monday and was told ‘the reason why the work cannot be completed at once is because they require different teams to carry out the works’.

On Monday, Yorkshire Water told the Free Press: “Due to the damage that the burst has done to the carriageway, we have unfortunately had to close the road for health and safety reasons with diversions in place.

“We hope to have the road reopened this Thursday and apologise for the inconvenience caused.”

It eventually opened earlier than planned, late on Tuesday afternoon, 100 hours after the problems began.

Stephen Pattison, who runs Arrow Cars from a nearby office, said: “I won’t lie and say it’s been easy because it’s been a total nightmare and I’ve been very angry about it.

“You would think that considering Quay Road is the main route into the town centre that there would have been some attempt to get the work completed as soon as possible. Surely there are emergency teams which could have worked over the weekend.”