THE SURGEON who was stopped from practising for botching the operation of a Bridlington woman has had his suspension extended for another four months.
Nayef El Barghouty was suspended for a year in July 2011 after the General Medical Council found that he had put patients at Scarborough Hospital – including Bridlington mum of two Jo Roche – at an “unwarranted risk of harm”.
A Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service hearing on July 18, to decide on whether Mr El Barghouty could return to work, was adjourned part heard and a further hearing took place on Sunday, July 29, in Manchester.
This further hearing was again adjourned for sanction until October 10, but not before the panel extended Mr El Barghouty’s suspension for a further four months to stop him practicing before a final decision on the future of his registration has been made.
A Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service panel said: “Given that the panel has determined that your fitness to practise is impaired, the Panel is clear it would not be proper to allow the current suspension to lapse during the period of adjournment.
“The panel is satisfied that an order is necessary for the protection of members of the public.
“When this case resumes the panel will hear further submissions as to the appropriate sanction, if any, to be imposed on your registration.”
Mr El Barghouty was suspended last year after a fitness to practice panel found he had lied under oath to a coroner, and mistreated three patients including Mrs Roche, 42.
The thyroidectomy he carried out on Mrs Roche was described as “extremely speedy” after he took 90 minutes instead of the expected two to three hours.
This left her having to breathe through a hole in her throat.
Mrs Roche told the Free Press last month that she believed his 12 month suspension “had probably saved lives”.
During Sunday’s hearing, Mr El Barghouty presented the panel with evidence that he had kept up to date with professional practice, a personal reflection statement and testimonial evidence from professional colleagues.
His evidence stated that he had met regularly with his mentor, Mr Al-Doori, where he had seeked “advice and guidance on addressing the areas identified by the 2011 Panel” and that the suspension period had allowed him “time to reflect and focus his mind on the identified deficiencies”
The Panel heard that Mr El Barghouty was in self denial when the dishonest report to the coroner was made, that his dishonesty was “deliberate and sustained” and that the suspension period had made him feel “incompetent”.
His evidence promised the panel that his misconduct “would never be repeated” as he did not want to jeopardise his livelihood and hence his family, and that he “had learnt his lesson”.
Mr El Barghouty stated that he would like to return to practice in general and vascular surgery, but that he would not in future undertake any thyroid surgery.
Despite this, and supporting testimony, the Panel concluded that his “fitness to practise is currently impaired by reason of misconduct” and decided to extend the suspension order until a new sanction is decided upon in October.