An customer recoiled in horror when he found a jar of mould on sale at a Bridlington supermarket.
The unnamed man said: “There was very clearly mould on the top of the jar. It’s unbelievable that it wasn’t spotted before.
“What if someone had bought it and taken it home? It could have made them ill.
“It was a good job I had spotted it or else I don’t know what might have happened. It hasn’t put me off Aldi though – these things do happen from time to time. I just think it should have been spotted.”
The jar was removed from sale after the shopper alerted staff on Saturday (March 18).
An Aldi spokesman said: “Incidents like this are very rare, but can occur as a result of damage to packaging and products being exposed to air.
“Incidents like this are very rare but can occur as a result of damage to packaging and products being exposed to air. The jar was removed from sale as soon as we became aware of the issue.”