Explosion wrecks Bridlington kitchen

editorial image
Share this article

A man suffering from burns was airlifted to hospital after an explosion at a house in Bridlington

It shattered windows and caused fire damage to the kitchen of a house in Nelson Street near the town centre around 7pm on Friday. Police say the 19-year-old was inside the house at the time.

Superintendent Darren Downs said: “The investigation is in its early stages, however indiscations suggest this explosion was caused by drugs and butane gas inside the house. Police, fire and ambulance services were at the terraced house where emergency treatment was given for burns to the man’s face and hand. He also suffered respiratory burns due to inhaling hot gasses. The victim was taken by ambulance to nearby Hilderthorpe car park to a Yorkshire Air Ambulance before being flown to Hull Royal Infirmary. He was later transferred to the specialist burns unit at Pinderfields Hospital in Wakefield where his condition is said to be stable.

Superintendent Downs said drugs and butane gas are a dangerous combination. “It is one that could easily have had fatal consequences for the resident and potentially also for neighbouring properties. I would urge people not to experiment with dangerous gasses and carry out acts that they may think will be of some benefit to them,” he said.

Anyone with any information about the incident is asked to call Humberside police on 101 quotil log 665 of May 2013