An investigation has been launched after a large chemical fire tore through a Pocklington industrial site.
Humberside Fire and Rescue are liaising with the Environment Agency are at Pocklington Industrial Estate, following yesterday's blaze at LMA Chemicals.
Officers are attempting to establish the cause of the fire that ignited just before 5pm yesterday (June 30).
A spokesman for Humberside Fire and Rescue said: "Our officer is on the scene and is liaising with the Environment Agency to see if there was an environmental impact due to the large volume of water used to tackle the flames."
Two fire engines from Pocklington Fire Station were first at the scene and arrived at 5.04pm.
Further engines came from Bridlington, Pocklington, Driffield, Market Weighton, Beverley, Brough, Goole and Hull.
Witnesses, including workers at a nearby factory, described hearing “popping” noises before seeing flames coming from the building.
There were reports of a loud explosion or explosions as a container at the aerosol manufacturer in Halifax Way burst into flames.
Vicky Mciver, 47, is managing director of Power Health Products, which employs 60 people nearby.
“I could hear some banging. “I looked out of the window and could see a massive fire coming from a building,” she said.
“It looked like there were wheel rims popping up in the air.
“Someone else came upstairs and we just thought let’s get out of the building.
“Our business has been going for 44 years. Luckily our building has not been touched [by flames]
“Sometimes, in the hot weather, we hear popping.”
More than 50 firefighters were at the scene at one stage, with two aerial appliances and a high volume pump in use.
A water carrier was sent by North Yorkshire Fire service to help with the response and crews from the Yorkshire Ambulance Hazardous Area Response Team were also in attendance.
No-one is reported to have been injured.
There were also concerns that the fire could spread to nearby buildings.
Louise Mciver’s parents own Power Health Products, which is adjacent to LMA Chemicals.
“We came down straight away,” she said. “My sister is the managing director. “She heard some popping and explosions and looked out and saw it, so she rang the fire service. They took ages to get here.
“The fire isn’t touching our building at the moment, but we do have some chemicals in the building.”
Louise’s brother, Nick Mciver, 49, added: “It’s a chemical company so that’s why it’s been so spectacular.
“We saw it on live streaming and thought it was coming from the roof of our building.”
Mr Mciver said he had been worried because his business stocks flammable chemicals.
Plumes of smoke could be seen for miles around, and the fire service was advising people in the area to stay indoors and keep windows closed as a precaution.
The A1079 was closed in both directions between Lotting’s Lane and The Balk for safety reasons, but has now reopened.
Meanwhile, Yorkshire Water warned people in the YO42 postcode that their water supplied might be affected.
It tweeted: “#Y042 #Pocklington Sorry, you may have no water/low pressure due to fire service use of hydrants in the area. Will update when complete.”