Driver in cliff plunge

A woman was airlifted to hospital after her car was left at the edge of a cliff
A woman was airlifted to hospital after her car was left at the edge of a cliff
Share this article

A WOMAN was airlifted to hospital after her car plunged over the edge of a cliff at Flamborough.

The 32-year-old woman is thought to have driven a silver BMW car through a fence, before plunging down the cliff face at North Landing, on Tuesday.

The car travelled down the steep grassy bank, and came to a stop just before it fell over a sheer edge.

Humberside Police were called at 6.10pm and notified the Humber Coastguard.

The Bridlington coastguard search and rescue team, firefighters, the ambulance service and a response paramedic all attended the scene along with the search and rescue helicopter from RAF Leconfield and the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.

The car was secured by emergency services perilously close to the sheer

drop, and the 32-year-old driver was freed from the car by Humberside fire and rescue service’s technical rescue team using a reciprocating saw.

Flamborough Lifeboat was also launched and waited on standby, as there was a danger the car could have dropped over the sheer cliff into the water.

The woman, who had injuries to her hip, leg and pelvis, was then taken to Hull Royal Infirmary by the RAF rescue helicopter – and was kept in hospital overnight on Wednesday for observation.

Members of the coastguard search and rescue team, who were amongst the first on scene and returned to base close to midnight, praised the co-operation between the emergency services in freeing the casualty and transporting her to hospital.

l Bridlington coastguard search and rescue team have warned dog walkers in the town to keep dogs on a lead when walking near cliffs, after receiving a spate of recent calls to attend to dogs who have fallen over cliffs.

On Friday last week, a couple from the Leeds area were walking their dog without a lead at Selwick Bay, Flamborough when it went over a cliff.

The search and rescue team as well as Flamborough lifeboat were called out, but unfortunately the dog’s body washed ashore the next day.

Search and rescue team members say that responding to these type of calls ties up the emergency services which affects how they can respond to other calls.