Murderer linked to Bridlington armed robbery

Convicted murderer Graeme Jarman.
Convicted murderer Graeme Jarman.
Share this article

A SELF-CONFESSED “psychopath” who was jailed for life after bludgeoning a pensioner to death with a hammer in Northumberland has been linked to an armed robbery in Bridlington.

Humberside Police have confirmed Graeme Jarman, 48, has been charged with robbing Pettits shoe shop, in King Street, at knifepoint in September last year – while he was on the run from police.

Last week, Jarman was jailed for a minimum of 35 years at Newcastle Crown Court after he struck Judith Richardson, 77, at least 30 times after forcing his way into her flat in Hexham.

The robbery at Pettits took place around 4.45pm on Thursday, September 1, when only one member of staff was on duty and no customers were in the store.

It is alleged the robber went into the shop and threatened a female shop assistant with a knife, before making off with around £130.

A spokesperson for the Crown Prosecution Service told the Free Press a charge of robbery and one of possessing an offensive weapon will lie on Jarman’s file, but as yet have not been heard before a court.

Jarman, of Greenways, in Consett, denied murdering Judith Richardson at her Hexham home in August last year, during last week’s trial.

Newcastle Crown Court heard that just days before the Bridlington robbery took place, Jarman savagely beat Miss Richardson and fled the scene with her handbag.

Although police had originally thought Jarman had been hiding out on the south coast, a major manhunt led to his arrest at Filey Library on September 3.

The court heard that Jarman had tricked spinster Miss Richardson into opening her front door by showing her Age UK charity leaflets and immediately began battering her.

Her ground floor flat was ransacked and her jewellery was stolen as she lay dying in her hallway. She was brutally beaten for a second time as the killer left.

During the trial which lasted almost three weeks, Robert Smith QC, prosecuting, said the attack was not random and that Jarman had been following potential victims the day before.

What the jury did not know is that Jarman was already convicted of locking a teenage girl in his car boot and raping her at gunpoint. A few years later, he barged into a 23-year-old woman’s home, tied her up and sexually abused her.

Jarman was arrested after Miss Richardson’s case received national publicity. His DNA had been found on tissues at Miss Richardson’s home and the tissues also had traces of her blood. Jarman’s fingerprints were also found on the charity leaflets.

He was convicted by a 11-1 majority by the jury. Jarman showed no emotion as the jury foreman delivered the verdict, reached after seven hours of deliberation.

Judge Mr Justice Openshaw said the defendant clearly “presents an extreme danger to women” and may never be released from jail.