Man hit his relative with piece of wood

Andrew Baker
Andrew Baker

A violent drunk attacked a relative, hitting him with a piece of wood after a row at a house party.

Andrew Baker, 26, was on licence when he got “het up” about the loss of his mobile phone at a flat in Park Avenue, Bridlington, which erupted into violence.

Park Avenue

Park Avenue

At first Baker, who had been sniffing gas, threw a TV set at a man and began prodding him with a broom stick, before turning on his older relative punching and hitting him with a piece of wood. The man had to be treated at hospital for cuts to his face and crown of his head which required nine stitches.

Baker, of Park Avenue, Bridlington, appeared at Hull Crown Court for sentence on Monday 1 June after pleading guilty to charges of common assault, grievous bodily harm and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Crown barrister David Gordon said there were two witnesses. He said Baker was in drink and sniffing gas when he thought his had misplaced or lost his mobile phone. He then threw a TV set at a man in a flat before turning on his older relative who when police arrived found him bleeding heavily on a bed with a flat in disarray around him.

Three days later on November 17 Baker called his mother from prison telling her he was facing serious allegations and asked him to approach his relative asking him to withdraw the complaint. His relative had no memory of the attack.

The court head Baker has a string of more than 10 previous convictions for violence when in drink, including assaulting police officers and refused to comply with community orders.

His convictions include arson, criminal damage, and harassment.

Defence barrister Nigel Clive said Baker had been recalled to prison for committing the latest offences while on licence for offences of attempting to make a gain for himself and handling stolen goods.

“This is a defendant who drinks too much to a point where he does not remember anything,” said Mr Clive. “He similarly drinks with others to the point when they cannot remember anything; then violence results. For the first time in a long time he has been sober for half a year. He can’t remember anything of the night.”

Sentencing Judge Mark Bury told Baker: “The violence was a serious incident. Everyone appears to be well in drink, if not totally in drink, including the two victims. You were drunk and had been sniffing gas. You got het up about the loss of your mobile phone and you began turned on those around you.”

“Following the violence you made a ridiculous and stupid offence of doing an act intending to pervert the call of justice. You were asking your mother to tell your relative to withdraw the complaint when he had never made a complaint as he had no memory of what happened.”

He said he had no choice but to jail him for a total of 20 months as he had in the passed refused to comply with community orders.