Cleaner stole £10,000 from Bridlington banks

Richard Hindle outside Hull Crown Court.
Richard Hindle outside Hull Crown Court.

A SELF-EMPLOYED cleaner stole more than £10,000 in cash he found in night drop boxes in Bridlington banks.

Richard Hindle, 64, carried out the ultimate inside bank job. He used his cleaning service contract at branches of the Halifax and Lloyds, to pick up cash in envelopes after staff had left for the evening thinking everything was secure.

Hindle of Prince of Wales Terrace, Scarborough, appeared at Hull Crown Court on Monday and pleaded guilty to four charges of theft.

He admitted stealing £4,700 from the Halifax in Manor Street, Bridlington, on April 23, 2012.

He admitted stealing £2,100 from Lloyds TSB on May 12 and stealing keys from Barclays between June 1 and June 30.

He denied stealing £850 worth of foreign currency from Barclays in June, but pleaded guilty to the theft of £3,600 from Lloyds on July 2.

Hindle could not resist temptation after realising money flowed into the bank while he was alone and no-one was looking, the court heard.

However CCTV showed him acting suspiciously near the night drop box once staff realised money had gone.

Crown barrister David Gordon said the Crown Prosecution Service did not feel it was in the public interest to have a trial over the theft of foreign currency given his other guilty pleas.

Defence barrister Christopher Dunn said it was an unusual case because the money Hindle stole had not been touched.

“He was asked why he stole it,” said Mr Dunn. He replied: “I don’t know. I didn’t spend it. I kept it in the bank.”

The court heard that the cash was Hindle’s insurance should his cleaning business fail.

The alarm was raised after a customer complained his night deposit had not shown up in his bank statement.

The police were informed and began looking at other banks where Hindle also had cleaning contracts.

Mr Gordon said Hindle had already been interviewed by a financial investigator and had signed a disclaimer allowing the money to be returned to the banks.

“In interview he said he had stolen the money to put it to one side for a rainy day,” said Mr Gordon.

Judge Jacqueline Davies ordered Hindle to stand as she told him: “There is no indication of sentence. You will return to court on November 20 when the court will sentence you when it has more information about you than it has a present.”

In the meantime Hindle was granted unconditional bail.