Bridlington teenager jailed for street violence

Darren Marsh outside Hull Crown Court.
Darren Marsh outside Hull Crown Court.

A JUDGE has jailed a Bridlington teenager for repeated street violence where he kicked defenseless victims.

Judge Michael Mettyear told Darren Marsh, 18, his record meant he deserved custody because he attacked three men outside Shades Nightclub while serving a youth rehabilitation order for gang violence in Bridlington town centre.

Marsh of Queensgate Square, appeared for sentence at Hull Crown Court on Friday October 5 after pleading guilty to a new charge of section four of the Public Order Act following the fight outside Shades.

Crown barrister Richard Thompson told the court the violence outside Shades Nightclub started around 5am on July 4. He said Marsh was seen to kick the head and back of a male after he fell to the floor but the men involved made no comment to police as they had no faith in the criminal justice system.

The court heard Marsh had failed to complete 150-hours unpaid work, required under the youth rehabilitation order, telling probation staff who challenged him about missing appointments he would not change his drinking habits.

The court heard that Marsh had gone to work with his father fishing rather than completing his order.

Barrister Joanna Golding for Marsh said his curfew had helped stem his drinking and his breaches were because he wanted to work.

“After the Shades incident he said to the police he saw red,” said Mrs Golding. “The victims here will not engage with the police.”

Judge Mettyear told Marsh he had been warned with prison back in January following the gang attack and his latest violence made it worse.

Judge Mettyear said: “You deserve a sentence of custody. I remember well your appearance in January. It was an unpleasant attack on a girl.

“The offence in July was a nasty offence. If the victims had come forward you would have faced more serious charges.”

He jailed Marsh for a total of six months.