Bridlington woman shoplifted after partner cheated on her in prison

Tracie and Lyndsey Day pictured outside Hull Crown Court at an earlier hearing.''Picture by Hull News and Pictures.
Tracie and Lyndsey Day pictured outside Hull Crown Court at an earlier hearing.''Picture by Hull News and Pictures.

A FORMER heroin addict from Bridlington went shoplifting as she raged against the fact her civil partner was having an affair while serving time in prison.

The world fell apart for Tracie Day, 35, when she found out Lynsdey Day, 26, was cheating on her while she was in jail.

The pair had a long-standing civil partnership, but they were unceremoniously separated in December last year when Lyndsey Day was jailed for five years for possession of £1,350 worth of heroin with 
intent to supply.

They had kept in touch with prison visits hoping five years apart would not stop true love.

But it all turned sour when Tracie Day learned Lyndsey Day had found a new love in prison.

Tracie Day, of Trinity Road, has now split from her partner and appeared at Hull Crown Court last Friday for sentencing to a theft which she blames on her marriage break-down.

Crown barrister Charlotte Baines said Day targeted the Extreme clothes sports shop in Chapel Street, Bridlington, because it exclusively sold Bench gilets.

She was caught red-handed trying to swap a stolen extra small gilet for one of medium size on May 12.

She has a lengthy record of 122 offences, many for fraud and theft.

At the time Day was in breach of a six-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, for possession of drugs, imposed in February 2011.

Defence barrister Steven Robinson urged the judge not to jail her.

He said: “It was a result of the upheaval in her personal circumstances following difficulties with her partner who had been sentenced to imprisonment.

“She found that her partner had been cheating on her. She was not thinking properly at all.”

Recorder Jeremy Hill-Baker told Day she was not going to prison despite being warned that was exactly what would happen if she committed any more offences.

He said the public would best be served if she continued with her progress in quitting heroin.

He said she had already spent two months in custody for alleged offences in Doncaster which were discontinued.

Instead he gave her a six-month supervision order coupled with 10 hours of education and training and allowed her to walk free from court.