Brid dad thanks hospital staff for saving wife and baby

Lucky to be alive ... Colin and Rapeewan Parcell with there miracle baby Angolina.
Lucky to be alive ... Colin and Rapeewan Parcell with there miracle baby Angolina.

A NEW father has paid tribute to the medical team who saved the life of his baby girl and his wife after she was struck down with a potentially fatal condition.

Rapeewan Parcell, 37 – who is known as Poh – lost six pints of blood while undergoing an emergency Caesarean and was put into a 12-hour induced coma in intensive care at Hull Royal Infirmary after developing HELLP syndrome – a severe form of pre-eclampsia – two weeks before her due date.

The hospital ran out of blood platelets, with some having to be drafted in from Leeds General Hospital, while a team of medics including three gynaecologists and four anaesthetists raced against time to stop Poh bleeding to death on the operating table.

“It’s a miracle. I thought I was losing both of them,” said Poh’s husband Colin, 54.

The family, of Waterdale Close, Bridlington, have thanked the staff at Hull Royal Infirmary and at the Women and Children’s Unit for all their life-saving efforts.

Now Colin wants to raise 
awareness of the dangers of preeclampsia.

“They have given my wife and baby a life that wasn’t going to be there,” said painter and decorator Colin.

“This isn’t just a lovely 
story, I think it’s worth making pregnant ladies aware of just how easy this can happen because she had no problems throughout her pregnancy,” he added.

Apart from developing gestational diabetes, which she was controlling through diet, Poh had a relatively unproblematic pregnancy.

But in the early hours of Friday, October 5, Colin heard his wife banging on the upstairs bedroom floor trying to get his attention.

Colin found Poh vomiting blood and suffering chest pains and rushed her straight to hospital.

Within 20 minutes, Poh had been diagnosed with preeclampsia and was on her way to theatre for an emergency Caeserean.

Poh told the Free Press that everything happened very quickly and she signed the consent form without a second thought, just wanting to do what was needed to save her baby’s life.

Colin added: “I’m still in shock with it all, I can’t take it all on board.”

Poh spent 12 hours in an induced coma as her organs began to fail while her body struggled to cope with the loss of 41 units of blood in total.

But after nine days in hospital for both mum and baby, they have both just returned home and are recovering well from their ordeal.

And baby Angolina Natolia Pearl Parcell, who weighed in at 5lb 10oz, has arrived in time for the couple to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary.

The couple hit the headlines back in Decemeber 2007 after they tied the knot in a traditional Buddhist ceremony in Thailand following a whirlwind romance.

And this week Poh’s entire home village of Nong Bua Lamphu, in north east Thailand held a celebration to mark the new arrival.