Attack mob are sentenced

Kelly Breddy
Kelly Breddy

THREE teenagers took part in gang violence punching, kicking and spitting on a 16-year- old girl, led by a woman who was jealous of her victim.

The school girl was dragged by the hair, kicked in the mouth and then spat on in Bridlington town centre after stumbling across the mob that had been out drinking.

Darren Marsh

Darren Marsh

She had already been targeted on Facebook with abuse.

At Hull Crown Court on Monday Judge Michael Mettyear said: “This was group violence which involved kicking, punching and spitting.

“What is worst is that two of you have no history with the victim and yet were prepared to get involved in violence against a 16-year-old girl.”

Kelly Breddy, 22, Darren Marsh, 18, Jarrod Myatt, 19, and Conor Granton, 18, all from Bridlington, had pleaded guilty to a charge of affray.

Jarrod Myatt

Jarrod Myatt

Crown barrister Bernard Gateshill said the female victim was out with her friend in the early hours of February 20 last year when she was set on by four people she knew and could identify.

There were others in the mob who were not in court.

He said there was a history of Kelly Breddy threatening the 16-year-old on Facebook because of her friendship with her boyfriend.

The violence began after Darren Marsh shouted to the group: “There she is!” Another gang member shouted: “Get her Kelly!” The victim and her friend ran away, but were chased.

Mr Gateshill said Jarrod Myatt grabbed the girl by the hair. Darren Marsh then kicked her. He chillingly said: “You are going to get knocked out.”

Mr Gateshill said Kelly Breddy then attacked the girl.

He said: “She punched her around 20 times.” The victim fell to the ground and was kicked in the mouth. She believed the kick was from Conor Granton, but he denied this.

Mr Gateshill said when the teenager got up from the floor she was punched again by Kelly Breddy.

This, he said, was followed by the girl being spat on.

Jarrod Myatt then punched her in the face. The victim’s friend was so alarmed she tried to knock on a door to raise help but was prevented by the mob.

Police arrived at the scene but before leaving Breddy warned her victim: “Don’t grass me up.”

The 16-year-old received a black eye, bruising and grazing to her left knee.

The court heard, Myatt had two previous convictions for battery and one for disorderly behaviour. Marsh had a conviction for handling stolen goods and a caution for assault.

Stephen Robinson, barrister for Breddy, said as a result of her violence she had lost her job a carer for old people.

He said she had overdosed and begun self-harm. “She recognises that it was disgraceful conduct that she was involved in.”

Barrister Nigel Clive for Conor Granton said the building apprentice had glowing character references.

Barrister Steven Garth said shop assistant Jarrod Myatt worked for Peacock’s clothing store and foolishly got involved grabbing the girl’s hair and punching her to the face. He said they had been drinking and came across the girl quite by chance.

Defence barrister Wendy Foster for Darren Marsh said: “He is ashamed and regrets that he acted stupidly and recklessly.”

Judge Mettyear told them: “The behaviour of all four of you was absolutely disgraceful. In drink, you acted like yobs and bullies and attacked a 16-year-old girl. It is the sort of street violence that appals ordinary-decent people. You are all responsible for what happened. Thankfully the injuries were not severe. If they had been you would all be serving lengthy prison sentences.”

He told Breddy of Elma Avenue, she started the violence and if it was not for the fact she had no previous conviction she would be going to prison.

He ordered she should receive a nine-month supervision order and perform 150 hours on unpaid work.

Granton, of Lowood Drive and Myatt, of The Crescent, were both given six-month prison sentences suspended for 18-months and a 10pm-to-6am curfew for four months and 150-hours community work.

Marsh of Queensgate Square, was given a 12-month youth rehabilitation order, 150 hours unpaid work and a curfew from 10pm to 6am.

Judge Mettyear told them: “All of you can regard yourself lucky not to be sentenced to prison today. If you do this again you will be going to prison.”