Sloppy start leaves Brid with too much work to do

York RUFC 19

Bridlington RUFC 12

BRIDLINGTON travelled to York on Saturday looking to mount a surge towards the top half of the table but were let down by a poor first half display that they were unable to recover from.

Kicking off into the perfect sunny conditions Brid were immediately on the back foot against a powerful and dynamic York side, conceding an early penalty and generally struggling to gain a foothold into the match.

It didn’t take the home side long to register their first try after good work at a lineout the ball was moved in field at pace where a good backs move saw winger Maud scamper over for the five points.

This was followed up after 20 minutes when Brid failed to clear a defensive line out 10 metres from their line and Matt Green pounced on the ball to record the second try which was easily converted.

It was York who were making all the headway with some enterprising rugby with their back three keeping Brid on their toes all the half.

Despite the York second rower receiving a yellow card for holding onto the ball after 38 minutes there was still time for York to score their third try of the day with some good driving work by the forwards enabling the ball to be moved wide quickly for Nicholson to score in the corner.

York ended the first half in complete control with the score at 19-0 it was always going to take a Herculean effort from the Brid side.

The task was made a whole lot easier after the break when Brid scored more or less straight from the kick off.

The restart was chased with added purpose and with Brid determined to make early inroads they soon got hold of the ball.

Stevie Mellonby moved the ball well and the forwards attacked with real venom, making big holes in the York defence.

Big Paddy Waines took the ball on the run and smashed through two tacklers before offloading the ball to Daniel Perkin who in turn fed Jimmy Baloyi.

The move worked up to the York 22 metre line before the ball was moved out quickly to Regan Stirk who slid through a gap in the defence to score.

Mellonby converting to make the score 19-7 and give Brid some real confidence to have a go at the opposition.

Just as Brid were gaining some momentum the match was held up for a long period with a serious neck injury to the York number seven.

An ambulance was called and the play was stopped until it was able to restart 20 minutes later but it took a while for Brid to get going again.

Waines was replaced by Micky Edmond with 20 minutes of the match left as Brid looked to get something from the game.

This was made even harder minutes later with the extremely harsh yellow carding of full back Gareth Roberts who reacted to being punched.

Martin Robinson came on for Ryan Kerr and then a couple of minutes after that the referee levelled the numbers up with the sending off of York number five for a second yellow card, once again a totally over- the-top decision.

With 10 minutes remaining Brid clawed themselves right back into the game with a lovely worked try after great inter passing from forwards and backs before Robinson fed Kieran Lawry to score in the corner.

Although Mellonby missed the conversion this was still enough to bring Brid to within seven points and a losing bonus point.

Try as they might for the last period of the match Brid could just not find a way through the desperate York defence and the final whistle sounded with Bridlington falling just short.

Still a valiant effort given the poor start and offers plenty of hope for the future.

Club sponsors: North Bay Caravan Park and Hudson Contract Services