Bridlington whitewash Ribblesdale in the mud

Bridlington 19 North Ribblesdale 0

Bridlington 19 North Ribblesdale 0

Have your say

The hard work of Bridlington’s ground staff paid off as their team recorded a 19-0 win over North Ribblesdale in Yorkshire One.

The result means third place is looking more and more like the only position Bridlington can finish in this season.

Bridlington 19 North Ribblesdale 0

Bridlington 19 North Ribblesdale 0

The top two both won again, meaning the Dukes Park side are 11 points behind second-placed Malton and Norton, while Hullensians’ defeat at leaders Bradford and Bingley means they are 10 points behind Bridlington.

Volunteers had worked long and hard since the last home game, to get the pitches playable again.

Just as they thought they had won, a huge downpour on Friday looked set to ruin their efforts.

But once again, they worked hard to bring the pitches playable again, finishing just hours before kick off.

Bridlington 19 North Ribblesdale 0. Pictures by Paul Deighton

Bridlington 19 North Ribblesdale 0. Pictures by Paul Deighton

Bridlington kick off the encounter, and they soon gained the upper hand. Keeping possession, they moved up the pitch, but just five metres from the Ribblesdale line they gave away a penalty, allowing the visitors to clear their lines.

The home side came straight back but Ribblesdale defended well, keeping Bridlington out of their 22.

Matiu Welch saw an opportunity, putting a grubber kick through for Gary Stevens to chase, and two wingers dived for the ball in goal, but it was adjudged that the defending winger Long got there first, giving the visitors a drop out kick.

Then, a moment of madness by one of the Ribblesdale players, as he smashed into the back of the retreating Welch, gave a penalty to Bridlington.

Bridlington 19 North Ribblesdale 0

Bridlington 19 North Ribblesdale 0

Ribblesdale settled down and had a good period of possession, forcing Bridlington back into their own 22, where they stood firm, defending against the onslaught, biding their time to regain possession.

A great counter ruck by the forwards did just that, picking and driving their way up the park, eventually winning a penalty, but Jack Arthur unfortunately hit the upright, which allowed the visitors to kick clear again.

Bridlington again used the forwards, as Andrew Trolove, Paddy Waines and Dewi Roberts ran at the defence, gaining ground with each run, and then from five meters out, Sutton ran a strong line to score next to the posts with the last play of the half, with his try converted by Arthur.

Bridlington started the second half as they finished the first, having changed strip at half time, as it was getting difficult to distinguish between the players with all the mud.

Wearing their Twickenham pink shirts for the second 40 minutes, they kept the pressure on the visitors.

Gary Heeley and Qaqambile Mrwetyana had good driving runs at the defence and a driving run by Waines was stopped five metres short of the line.

Welch delayed his pass, to put Jamie Martin through in to the corner for Bridlington’s second try, but the conversion was missed and the lead was 12-0.

Bridlington continued the onslaught, the forwards again driving up the park gaining ground and setting up an attacking platform for the backs.

Captain Ryan Girking made a half break, before offloading to Dewi Roberts, who powered over for Bridlington’s third try, and this time Arthur converted.

Bridlington continued to press for the rest of the match, and although Ribblesdale had some good possession, they were unable to convert it into points.