FIRE safety officers have been canvassing a residential street in Bridlington after a woman was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation when a deliberate fire in a wheelie bin spread to her house.
And it comes at a time when the Fire Service has been attending a rising number of call outs to wheelie bin fires, with four having been reported in Bridlington within the past fortnight.
Daryl Osprey, head of safety at Humberside Fire and Rescue service, has described these incidents as “deplorable” and has urged residents to be extra vigilant.
“It is utterly deplorable when fires are started deliberately, particularly those which put people’s lives in danger.
“By keeping wheelie bins out of sight and, if possible, behind locked gates these risks can be reduced. I ask residents to follow these precautions to eliminate the risks of deliberate wheelie bin fires,” Mr Osprey said.
The fire service, police and paramedics were called to the property on St Aidan Road, in Queensgate shortly after 2.30am on Tuesday after a fire was started in the wheelie bin, which was positioned against the external wall of the house.
The fire spread to the ground floor window and external plastic guttering.
A woman, 37, who was in the house at the time, was given oxygen therapy and taken to Scarborough District Hospital by ambulance as a precaution.
Scene of crime officers also visited the property and a police investigation is underway.
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service have now urged residents to be extra vigilant when leaving their wheelie bins out for collection.
Within hours of the blaze fire safety officers were going door to door along St Aidan Road to give residents advice on how to protect their families and homes in a bid to prevent a repeat incident.
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service’s Community Safety Advocate Walter Brown was out and about with Community Safety Technician Ted Rudd knocking on doors, talking to residents and leaflet dropping.
“It’s the time of year when we tend to be out there in the community reassuring people.
“These are random events but fortunately there are things we can do to make sure you are safe at the end of the day,” Mr Brown said.
The Fire Service has advised people not to store bins close to doors, windows or sheds, and says they should be securely stored behind locked gates.
If a secure location is not available then the bin should be closed and secured away from buildings, while bins should be put out on collection days but brought back in as soon as possible after they have been emptied.
Residents are also urged not to overfill wheelie bins or leave loose rubbish around them, never put hot ashes directly into the bin, and always ensure your bin does not block your escape route.
Free safety advice is available from Humberside Fire and Rescue Service by calling 0300 303 8242.