Tribunal date for soldier

Aron Shelton
Aron Shelton

FORMER soldier Aron Shelton has taken his disability benefit battle to a tribunal – which will take place in September.

The Free Press first reported Aron’s plight last year when he was told his disability allowance was being slashed and his blue disabled badge revoked – despite him losing a leg in military action in Afghanistan and suffering crippling arthritis in his other.

Aron Shelton

Aron Shelton

Aron, of Redwood Close, was overwhelmed by the support of the Bridlington public, who fund-raised tirelessly for him.

But he is determined to have his Disability Living Allowance reinstated to its original value.

He said: “I don’t think that I am actually going to get anywhere. I don’t think I am going to get it back and in my opinion it is going to be another fight after this.

“But if I have to, I will go all the way to the European Court of Human Rights because it is not only me that this kind of thing has happened to.

“They are doing it to people all over the country, not just soldiers but lots of civilians too.

“I’m glad I have got to the tribunal stage, but I am nervous too.”

Aron was told last September in a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions that his £185 per month benefit which helped pay for his car was being withdrawn.

He appealed the decision, but after reviewing the case, the Government said it would not reinstate the full amount and instead offered him just £18 per week – a decision which Aron branded “an insult” at the time.

The tribunal will be held in Scarborough on September 22.