More travellers join Jubilee Woods group

More travellers have arrived on the Bridlington Jubilee Woods field NBFP PA1630-16b
More travellers have arrived on the Bridlington Jubilee Woods field NBFP PA1630-16b

More travellers have descended on to grassed land in Bridlington despite being served a notice to leave last week.

Caravans and other vehicles arrived at Jubilee Woods on Wednesday July 13, despite East Riding of Yorkshire Council spending almost £30,000 on bollards to prevent the travellers’ return in 2014.

However Jubilee Woods is still accessible through an entry way used by council maintenance staff, who use removable bollards to bring grass cutters onto the site.

It is believed the travellers gained entry on to Jubilee Woods by removing the bollards, which in total cost £28,000.

Bridlington South ward councillor Margaret Chadwick, who spearheaded the drive to get the bollards in place, said an order to leave the site was issued on Friday July 15: “I have been told that the travellers have been given rubbish bags and they said they would use them.

“They had been served a notice to leave by Monday (July 18).”

However further travellers have joined the group since the notice was served and it is not known how long they have now been given to leave Jubilee Woods.

An East Riding of Yorkshire Council spokesman said: “The council is taking the appropriate steps to remove this group of travellers from the site.”

It comes after the Bridlington Free Press revealed that the East Riding of Yorkshire Council spent £5,000 of taxpayers’ money on clearing rubbish from the same site last year.

Cllr Chadwick said she would like to see a change in the law so travellers who are trespassing can be moved on more easily.

“Hopefully we can actually get over this problem eventually, but I think that we need to have a re-think.”