DCSIMG

Warning over aerosol craze after two boys hurt

Owen Shepherd, 11, was badly burnt while playing with a lighter and an aerosol.

Owen Shepherd, 11, was badly burnt while playing with a lighter and an aerosol.

FIRE fighters will visit children at schools in Bridlington to warn them of the dangers of playing with aerosols, lighters and matches, after two local youngsters were left badly burnt.

We reported last week that 11-year-old Owen Shepherd suffered serious burns to his face, hands, legs and arms after playing with an aerosol and lighter near Belgrave Mansions, on South Marine Drive, Bridlington.

And the Free Press now understands that a second 11-year-old boy was also left with serious burns to his back in similar circumstances.

A spokesperson for Humberside Fire and Rescue service said: “Playing with lighters or matches can be extremely dangerous, especially when there are flammable materials nearby.

“Parents should ensure that lighters and matches are kept in a safe place, out of the reach of children. If parents or carers are concerned that their child may be playing with such materials, they should contact Humberside Fire and Rescue Service as we can offer advice and, if needed, fire setting intervention work.”

The service confirmed that they will be making visits to two schools in Bridlington to warn children not to copy friends and send out the message that playing with fire is extremely dangerous and can lead to serious injury.

The service said that they could also visit more schools in Bridlington.

The move is being backed by the East Riding Safeguarding Children Board.

A statement from the board said: “Aerosols are not toys and these incidents just go to show the very serious consequences when pressurised containers come into contact with fire.

“Playing with fire and aerosols can kill or leave scars that could last a lifetime so we would urge all parents and carers to talk to their children about the dangers of fire and make sure they are aware of how to be safe.”

Bridlington School pupil Owen is still recovering in Sheffield Children’s Hospital after the accident, which took place on Thursday January 17.

A spokesperson for the hospital said: “He has been treated on our burns unit, he is stable, improving and making progress.

“He is getting better but is not ready to come home yet.”

Owen was in flames when local mum Gayle Brown, 38, rolled him in snow and wrapped his burns in cling film before calling an ambulance.

The ambulance rushed him to the playing field at Hilderthorpe School where an RAF helicopter flew him to Wakefield Pinderfields Hospital.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page