Demolition of Leisure World has started this week ahead of a multi-million pound construction project to redevelop the complex.
The work, which officially began on Monday 3 March, is expected to take 12 weeks to complete, creating an estimated 3,500 tonnes of waste.
Gordon Alexander, BAM’s North East construction manager, said asbestos had been found under the floor of the old Three B’s Theatre, built in the early 1900s. It will be the last of the four Leisure World buildings to be demolished.
Mr Alexander said: “All the concrete structure will be recycled on site, the scrap metal will also get recycled and the timber will be turned into chips for the fire service.
“Every job is different, you never build the same thing twice.
“The above ground demolition is fairly straightforward and then we have to take all the concrete out from in the basement using pulverisers which will crunch the concrete.”
During the project archaeologists will be on site to oversee part of the excavation work, as it is thought an historic fort lies in the area.
The new steel-structured centre, expected to be finished in autumn 2015, will feature a wide range of new facilities, including a six-lane 25-metre swimming pool, a 70-station fitness suite, a climbing wall, a six-court sports hall, two water slides with aqua run off and cafe.
“Obviously, it is a lot more modern, and a lot more compact. It will be more cost effective to run,” said Mr Alexander.
He said the finished building will not have roof lights, which the old building had in place, and the frontage will be clear, allowing visitors to look out to sea.
Councillor Stephen Parnaby OBE, leader of East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “The start of demolition works at Leisure World represents a significant milestone in this important investment and highlights this authority’s commitment to providing residents and visitors to the town with first-class facilities for years to come.”