DCSIMG

Petition launched to stop surgeon returning to work

Sisters Sharon, left, Lisa Pickup, and Tracy Smith, outside the Brunswick Shopping Centre on Saturday, petitioning against Dr El-Barghouty being allowed to return to work. Picture by Andrew Higgins  124339   27/10/12

Sisters Sharon, left, Lisa Pickup, and Tracy Smith, outside the Brunswick Shopping Centre on Saturday, petitioning against Dr El-Barghouty being allowed to return to work. Picture by Andrew Higgins 124339 27/10/12

A PETITION has been launched to stop a surgeon who botched a seried of operations at Scarborough Hospital from returning to work.

Nayef El-Barghouty was suspended for 12 months in July 2011 by the General Medical Council (GMC) but will be once again allowed to work from December 29 this year, after the imposition of 22 conditions by which he must abide.

Mr El-Barghouty, who worked at Scarborough Hospital for 15 years before his suspension, botched the thyroidectomy of Bridlington woman Jo Roche. She now needs to breath through a tube in her throat and last month told the Free Press of her disappointment that Mr El-Barghouty would be returning to work.

Now, three sisters from Scarborough are asking members of the public to support them in petitioning against Mr El Barghouty.

Sharon Pickup, Lisa Pickup and Kerrie Smith have been collecting signatures in Scarborough town centre in a bid to have the surgeon removed from the General Medical Council (GMC) register, and are looking for the support of Bridlington residents.

The sisters have grave concerns over the treatment of their father, Trevor Pickup, who died following a routine operation in 2006.

The Pickups’ case is currently under investigation by the GMC and since the family launched an online petition, a number of other people have come forward with concerns.

Lisa said: “We’ve collected hundreds of signatures and people have been telling us their own stories - we cannot believe what we’ve heard.

“We want to encourage anyone who has concerns about this doctor to contact the GMC straight away.

“They need to hear from people directly so they can investigate these cases.”

She added that the public response to their petition has been “unbelieveable”, adding: “People were actually queueing up to sign the petition.

“Someone even came from Bridlington just to sign it. It has been amazing.”

Lisa encouraged people with conerns to contact the GMC urgently as Mr El-Barghouty is allowed to start practising again in a matter of weeks.

Those who want to sign the petition can go to www.change.org and search for ‘El-Barghouty’.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page