Fire at fish and chip restaurant

Mariners Restaurant caught fire on Friday morning
Mariners Restaurant caught fire on Friday morning

A FIRE which tore through a Bridlington restaurant led to around ten people being evacuated from their homes.

The fire broke out at Mariners restaurant, on South Cliff Road, at around 11am on Friday morning, when a deep fat fryer at the back of the building caught alight.

Mariners Restaurant caught fire on Friday morning

Mariners Restaurant caught fire on Friday morning

Witnesses reported seeing smoke billowing out of the restaurant and from windows of flats above. There were no customers on the premises, but around ten residents were evacuated from their homes.

The restaurant owner along with his daughter and staff member Anthony Harold tried to put out the fire with an extinguisher, before the fire service arrived.

The fire had spread into the extraction flue in the kitchen, spreading to the ceilings.

Mark Walster, watch manager at Bridlington Blue Watch, said: “We got called to deep fat fryer on fire. The owner and a few of the staff had a go at extinguishing it and they did a pretty good job of it before we arrived.

“The fire had taken hold in the extraction flue and spread through the flue to the ceilings and roof.

We have had to open up the ceilings on the ground floor.”

Anthony Harold, who has worked at Mariners for around three years, helped to fight the fire before the fire service arrived.

“It started in the deep fat fryer, and it was quite a big one,” said Mr Harold.

“We were trying to put it out for about twenty minutes until the smoke got too much and the fire brigade came. There was nobody in the restaurant when it started.

“My boss has gone to hospital with smoke inhalation, but I don’t think anyone else was hurt.”

A resident in one of the flats above, a Mrs Metcalfe, said: “I was just sitting down reading the paper and having a cup of coffee when I noticed a lot of smoke coming in. It was quite thick.

“I came downstairs to tell them that something must have been on fire but the fire brigade told me to wait and not go back in because it was too thick.

“I was worried about my guinea pigs upstairs but the fire service were marvellous, they went back in and got them for me. Their cage was on the floor so they weren’t harmed by the smoke.”