Harbour cafe fire caused by fault

Fire Damage at Tilly's Shop Bridlington
Fire Damage at Tilly's Shop Bridlington

A BLAZE at a Bridlington Cafe early on Wednesday morning was caused by an electrical fault according to the fire service.

Residents living above Tilly’s on Harbour Road were evacuated while fire crews dealt with the blaze which was reported by the watch keeper at the Harbour Commissioners’ Office just before 4am.

Fire Damage at Tilly's Shop Bridlington

Fire Damage at Tilly's Shop Bridlington

An evolution saw was used to cut through shutters and gain access to the fire and officers in breathing apparatus completely extinguished the blaze within 45 minutes.

According to Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, the fire originated in the cafe’s consumer unit, where the mains electricity to the business comes in.

After the blaze was put out, underground cables coming into the property had to be checked to see if the fire had spread to them.

This is the second fire at a business on Harbour road in recent weeks, with an arson at Wendy’s Burger Bar reported to the Fire Service on March 8.

l See a picture on the Free Press website at www.bridlingtonfree press.co.uk