THE grandmother of the three children who died in the fire has said the family were looking to “move on”, after the inquest concluded.
But she hoped the tragic event may help to save other lives in future, by making people more aware of the importance of fire safety.
Sharon Hudson, who gave evidence at the inquest at Hull Coroner’s Court last week, said afterwards she was “relieved for it all to be over”.
She said: “I am glad everything to do with the fire is finished now, everyone just wants to move on.
“I’m quite pleased that the coroner said we had to realise that although it was a cigarette that started the fire, it was an accident. Something like that can happen to anybody.”
“Everybody said how brave Sam had been by going upstairs to get to her kids.
“How she got up their nobody knows, because breathing in carbon monoxide makes you very confused.
“Unfortunately, she went to the wrong place.”
The coroner found that a discarded cigarette was the probable cause of the fire, after the inquest had heard that Samantha Hudson – mother of William, AJ and Maddie – had been drinking during the day leading up to the fire.
Mrs Hudson said: “In all the statements it said that she was tipsy and not drunk, it just looks like she has fallen asleep.
“It wasn’t nice to go through everything that happened that night all over again.
“The only good thing that can come out of it now is that it could warn people to be careful, especially when they are smoking and to have working smoke alarms and an escape plan.
“Hopefully this could save somebody else’s life.”
During the inquest, an emotional Mrs Hudson asked the paramedic in charge on the night how long Samantha had gone without oxygen, commenting that it may have been better not to resuscitate her daughter.
But she said she does not blame the ambulance staff, who “were just doing their job”.
She said: “I had to ask that question. I am not blaming them. They just did their jobs and were coping with what they had.
“I am angry that ambulances had to come from Driffield and Beverley.
“If anything happens in Bridlington we should have enough ambulances to be able to deal with it, but I believe now that the children died in the house, so the ambulances couldn’t have helped them.
“Bridlington needs a better service for everyone.”
Samantha is still in a rehabilitation centre in Goole, and is improving slowly.
“It is the best place for her to be,” said her mother.
“Sam isn’t really much better, but she is making little bits of progress.
“She understands us when we talk to her and she now knows about the fire and that the children are gone.
“She has said a few words but not very often. Sometimes it looks like she is trying to tell us something.”