Fire hero Amy praised

Fire hero'14 year old  Amy Sellars helped rescue her grandmother from her room after a fire started in the room next door at Chantry Court.'She suffered smoke inhalation after rescuing her grandmother and had to force open a window to save them both.'Picture by Neil Silk  120536a'02/02/12

Fire hero'14 year old Amy Sellars helped rescue her grandmother from her room after a fire started in the room next door at Chantry Court.'She suffered smoke inhalation after rescuing her grandmother and had to force open a window to save them both.'Picture by Neil Silk 120536a'02/02/12

0
Have your say

A SCHOOLGIRL has been hailed as a hero after saving her grandmother from a blaze in a flat at a Bridlington sheltered housing complex.

It was around 5am last Monday morning when Amy Sellars, 14, was woken by a fire alarm at Chantry Court where she was staying with her 84-year-old grandmother, Margaret Marshall.

The Bridlington School pupil went out into the corridor to find out what was going on.

Having smelt gas and smoke, Amy returned to her grandmother’s room next to the burning flat.

Firefighters attempted to get into both Mrs Marshall’s room and the room next to it, but her grandmother’s door jammed and black smoke poured in through a hole made by the firemen.

After hearing screaming from further down the corridor, the quick-thinking schoolgirl headed to the window, smashed the frame and broke the latch to open it wide enough for her and her grandmother to escape.

Amy said; “I was in a deep sleep when I heard the alarm, I was scared but in times like that you just have to keep your head and get on with it.”

Both Amy and her grandmother were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation, though Mrs Marshall was released later the same day.

Amy was released two days later after also injuring her ribs as she wrenched her grandmother out of the window to escape the smoke.

The fire in the next door room is believed to have been started deliberately

The 63-year-old female occupant had been taken to hospital and released after treatment.

Amy’s grandmother, Mrs Marshall said: “When the smoke came in Amy took the brunt of it. She was so brave if is wasn’t for her I wouldn’t be here today.”

Amy’s mum Heather added: “If Amy hadn’t have been there my mother would have died.

“She could have got outside and ran but she braved the smoke to help.

“I’m so proud of her and I just told her how much I loved her.”

Paramedic Ellen Faulkes and Assistant Practitioner Stephen Anderson from Bridlington Ambulance Station who were at the scene had added their praise.

Ellen said: “Amy’s actions in what must have been a very daunting and scary situation are commendable.

“Without doubt, her quick-thinking and bravery led to Amy and her grandmother escaping the fire and getting to safety.

“We hope they are both well on their way to recovery and wish them well for the future.” All 33 residents, some in their 80s and 90s, were evacuated during the blaze which seriously damaged the flat involved. Others suffered only minor damage or were undamaged. Following a clean up operation all but two residents have moved back in, and they should return in the near future.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council could not comment of the whereabouts of the 63-year old woman in whose flat the fire started saying they were unable to discuss individual cases.