Brid man, 19, caught with cannabis again

Jasper Marskham, 19.
Jasper Marskham, 19.

A Bridlington teenager given a 10-month suspended prison sentence for selling cannabis was caught with nine bags of skunk after being given a golden opportunity to go straight.

Jasper Markham, 19, had 13.4 grams of high-strength cannabis stuffed down his underpants when police raided his home. It came four months after he was convicted of supplying drugs to support a £200-a-week habit.

Markham, of Queensgate Square, was four months into the suspended sentence and risked being sent to a young offenders’ institution when he appeared at Hull Crown Court for sentence on Monday June 10. He pleaded guilty to one charge of possession of cannabis and a second charge of breaching of his suspended sentence for supplying cannabis and grievous bodily harm.

Crown barrister James Byatt told the latest hearing Markham had been caught on February 12 with the skunk cannabis worth £80 in breach of his court order.

He said he had been convicted of punching Jonathan Edmund outside Bridlington’s Charcoal Grill takeaway. Mr Edmond, a trawler captain, slumped to the ground semi-conscious with a cut to the head and a fractured ankle and lost £5,000 earnings at sea.

Markham also admitted supplying cannabis on January 11 last year after he was caught in a police raid of his mother’s home.

A small amount of cannabis was recovered from his mother’s bedroom, but his phone text messages revealed he was regularly dealing an eighth of an ounce.

Defence barrister Philip Norton told the latest court hearing: “He is suffering from a severe psychological dependency on cannabis. He smokes a joint a night to help him sleep.”

He said Markham was currently attending a Compass course voluntarily to help him kick the habit.

He was on A BTEC public service course, but Mr Norton said he hoped to change and start an animal management course at a college.

Markham has just qualified as a rugby coach.

Recorder Simon Jackson, QC, told Markham he was not going to jail him, but did not want him to walk away thinking he could continue to illegally smoke cannabis. He ordered he should be given a six-month drug rehabilitation programme, six-month supervision order, 40 hours unpaid work and a month-long curfew from 8pm-6am.