FUND-RAISING for a heart charity that helped a young Bridlington man who suffered three cardiac arrests and went without oxygen for nearly 10 minutes is going well – but more help is needed.
In March the Free Press reported how Jamie Tanner, 25, was set to trek to Everest base camp – more than 5,600m high – to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation.
Jamie decided to get involved with the fund-raising effort after his brother Joe, 21, suffered a heart attack which led to three cardiac arrests in August last year.
Jamie has so far raised just over £1,500, but needs to reach £4,000 before embarking on the trip next March. He is now hoping to raise more funds and has thanked those in the town who have already helped out.
“Firstly we would like to say a big thankyou to the Co-op on Martongate for letting us do events there and to all the customers for their donations,” said Joe.
“Also MKM builders merchant for their charity shootout and Andrea Ward at Wardy’s suprise cakes for raising £200 with her charity cup cakes. Lastly a big thanks to everyone who has so donated.”
If you would like to help out, you can donate at www.justgiving.com/jaytanner or via text message by texting civo83 and your amount to 70070.
He can also be followed on Twitter @jaytanner for updates, or to offer help in his preparations for the trip. He would also appreciate help with equipment and training for the trek.
Back in August, it took paramedics 30 minutes to revive and stabilise Joe using a defibrillator after his heart attack.
Speaking in March, Joe, of Edwardian Drive, Bridlington, said: “They said I was without oxygen for 5-10 minutes, professionals say five minutes without oxygen to the brain will leave you with memory problems and up to eight minutes will lead to nonreversible, severe brain damage.”
He was then induced into a coma once he was stable and stayed in Scarborough Hospital for days being cooled with ice.
Doctors had told his family to expect the worst, and that there was a high chance of brain damage. Joe was then transferred to Leeds General Infirmary, and fitted with a shockable pacemaker to protect him from further cardiac arrests.
“Once I got out of hospital, I was larger than life... or that was until my device shocked me. It was the most uncomfortable thing I had ever felt. I thought this is it, I am going to die,” continued Joe, who had worked as a plumber before his heart attack.
“Soon after, the device shocked me a further three times and I was taken back into hospital. Doctors gave me the good news that my heart was fine but the device was giving me inappropriate shocks. My heart had an abnormal beat and the pacemaker was set too sensitively.”
He continued: “I think what Jamie is doing is amazing, I would love to have a go at it and I want to help him with his fundraising as much as I can.”