East Riding of Yorkshire Council’s Planning Committee has today (Thursday 17 October) approved a £20 million redevelopment of Bridlington’s Leisure World facility.
The new multipurpose facility, which forms part of the council’s £123 million capital investment programme for 2013-14, would be constructed on the current site with work anticipated to start early in the New Year. If all goes to plan, the new Leisure World will be complete in Autumn 2015.
Councillor Stephen Parnaby OBE, leader of East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “Today is an important milestone for the redevelopment of Leisure World and will now allow the council to appoint a contractor and begin work on the ground.
“When complete, the new Leisure World will not only provide Bridlington’s residents with a facility that will be at the forefront of leisure venues in the country but it will also provide a timely boost to the local economy and safeguard jobs in the construction industry.
“The council is committed to investing in communities across the East Riding and this scheme, along with other investments in the town’s infrastructure, including the refurbishment of The Spa Bridlington and our work, alongside the Heritage Lottery Fund, at Sewerby Hall and Gardens, will help create an economically buoyant Bridlington, vital to both local people and the wider East Riding.”
East Riding Council is working with Sport England, which is assisting with the provision of a temporary 25m Olympic Legacy swimming pool for the duration of the redevelopment of Leisure World.
The pool, used by Olympic athletes for training during the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, will be situated at Bridlington Sports Centre, where sports facilities, including gym access and fitness classes, will also be provided.
The project includes:
* a 25m, six-lane swimming pool
* a 13 x 7m learner pool, with moveable floor
* leisure water freeform pool including water play features
* two water slides with aqua run off
* swimming spectator seating for 150
* changing village at pool level for swimmers
* health suite, including a steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi, monsoon showers and foot spa
* a 70-station fitness suite
* an exercise studio
* a spinning studio
* a six-court sports hall – specified to Sport England Club level
* two squash courts
* a feature climbing wall
* spaces suitable for clubroom, dance classes, yoga, children’s parties
* a café/coffee shop- open access to non-centre users with external seating and views over the bay
For more information, visit www.bridlingtonleisureworld.co.uk/leisure-world-bridlington/bridlington-leisure-world-redevelopment/